From July through December 2011, this is where I'll be. Here are the tales of my adventures!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm alive!

Hello World!

I haven't been on the internet once since I've been here because there isn't much access and orientation has just been insanely packed, but I just wanted to quickly drop in and let you all know that I did finally make it safely to Ghana and am loving it (for the most part).

The culture is so rich and I already feel like I've learned more in one week than I would taking a single class at UCSB. It's funny and sad to also meet other students and see how ignorant some of them really are. I shouldn't say funny, but some people are just really stupid and all I can do is laugh rather than get frustrated by their unconscious racism.

I'm not going to go on for too long because I just don't have much time left on the internet, but I would like to reflect on one very important thing: appreciation/gratitude. In just one week, I've already recognized how much more privileged I am than I had ever thought before. I have learned to appreciate so many seemingly simple things like toilet paper, hot water, electricity, transportation, clean water, milk, and so much more. I think this experience is going to be really good for me in that regard because it is really forcing me to reevaluate a lot of my life and materialistic tendencies.

I'll try to get back on here at some point in the near future, but now I need to go pack for tomorrow's trip to Kumasi! Hope everyone is still having a wonderful summer :)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Marge-

    The difference between life in the developing word and the Western world is night and day. THe phrase is often said and but unless you have live in both world's you do not understand the depth and scope of the matter.

    Yet, when I look back on the decade-plus that I lived in West Africa I realize that there were so many things about the culture and heart of the African people that is was so endearing and precious so me. I can feel the soul of the LIberian people still to this day.

    The mind-set that you have will enable you to appreciate the beauty of the people of Ghana, it's land and their culture. You are on the right track. Those who retain an elitist attitude will not reap the benefits of the experience.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Martine

    PS The fact that you cannot readily access the internet will help you to remain more "present" in every context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're seeing the life of the west through the African lens :) I can finally have a conversation with someone who understands my perspective when you get back!!

    Yoel

    ReplyDelete