From July through December 2011, this is where I'll be. Here are the tales of my adventures!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Orientation

Last week was so busy and jam-packed with a crazy amount of educational, cultural, and social activities. It’s been amazing and so eye opening and I’m not sure if anything I write will even come close to describing what everything has felt or looked like.
We’ve been taking a few classes here and there while learning the local language (Twi) and about different cultural/historical aspects of Ghana. One of the highlights was definitely the traditional dance class!
We also went on a 3-day trip to Kumasi, the cultural capital of Ghana, where we had the opportunity to bargain with locals at a few markets, make our own custom kente cloths with traditional Adinkra symbols, visit the Manhyia Palace (where past kings have lived) and Lake Bosomtwe.

This week we had International Student Orientation with all of the other foreigners. Course Registration is the hot topic of the day/week and let’s just say it is one of the most frustrating, stressful, and inefficient processes I’ve ever been through, but it’s all part of the experience!! Everything is done by hand and you have to physically go to each department building to register for courses. Here I gooooo

4 comments:

  1. In 1975 if you needed to change a course you had to get in a line 50-100 people long, in a room 1/4th the size of a stadium filled with other lines going in other directions...to hand your paper to a registrar that changed the classes BY HAND!
    Inefficient in Dakar (?) partially because of the lack of availability and trainng with regards to technology.
    Yep. DEveloping world moves at completely different pace within a completely different reality.
    Love the blog!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add that I was referring to registering for classes in1975 at the Unviversity of Washington, Seattle, WA. USA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I should put my name in the body of my comments. The comments about the UW are written by me, Marge.

    Martine Wagoner

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea buddy I hope you get the classes that you want!! And I hope it ajntt to hot out there O and we should skype if ya ever get a chance!!

    ReplyDelete